Career Aptitude Testing
What is a Career Aptitude Test?
Are you looking for a better career? One that is a good fit. A career that you can be passionate about. Career testing can help point the way towards a better career.
Aptitude testing is one of three types of career tests.
Aptitude tests are essentially the same as skill tests. They evaluate your ability to perform specific tasks.
For the purpose of identifying your ideal career, we have found "interest" based career assessment tests to be much more powerful and accurate than aptitude based systems. That's what our Career Test uses.
Why? We believe that once you discover the type of work that is a perfect fit for you, you will be able to learn and develop the skills needed to become successful in that field.
On the other hand, you may have a very strong skill that has nothing to do with the type of work you really want to do.
One caveat about knowing what your skills are. If you have exceptionally strong skills in an specific area, you should not over look those gifts. They may be the key to understanding what your perfect career is.
The best use of a Career Aptitude Test is to help you identify which skills you will need to develop for your perfect career.
Therefore, we recommend taking a Career Aptitude Test after you have taken our interest based Career Test and after you have identified your perfect career.
More About Career Aptitude Tests
A Career Aptitude Test will measure your ability to perform tasks in these areas.:
- Verbal Reasoning - your basic understanding of the written word
- Numerical Reasoning - your basic math test
- Perceptual Ability - seeing similarities in shapes and patterns
- Spatial Ability - can you visualize in 3D
- Technical Ability - can you program that VCR
- Analytical Ability - solving word problems
- Acuity - the ability to do things quickly and accurately
One weakness of the Career Aptitude Test is that it will only show you what you are capable of today. These tests have no way of knowing how great you will be once you discover your perfect career and start moving in that direction.
Books that offer Career Aptitude Testing
"Test Your Own Job Aptitude" by Jim Barrett and Geoff Williams
"Career, Aptitude and Selection Tests" by Jim Barrett
"Discover What You're Best At" by Linda Gale
Career Aptitude Test Summary
In conclusion, if you are looking at a Career Aptitude Test as a way to discover the career that is best for you, we offer this free career advice:
- Build your career around the work you are passionate about. When you are passionate about work, you do your best and it is much easier to be successful.
- The key to understanding the type of work that you can be passionate about is understanding where your interests lie. That is what our online Career Test is designed to show you.
- It is important to understand your abilities, so a Career Aptitude Test will provide useful information. However, your abilities may have nothing to do with the careers are passionate about.